THK &GA2) BBTWEE5? MATHUEi AND BRIKD/-BAK. 185 suggestion It may be remarked3 first, that in Upper India, "with. the sole excep- tion of the canal constructed by Firoz SMh (1351-1388 A.D.) for the supply of the city of Hisar5 no irrigation works of any extent are known eTer to bay© been executed either by Hindus or Muhammadans : certainly there are no traces of any sach operations in the neighbourhood of Brinda-ban ; and secondly, both legends represent the Jamuaa itself as diverted from its straight course into a single winding channel, not as divided into a multiplicity of streams." Hence it may more reasonably be inferred that the still existing involution of the ri¥er Is the sole foundation for the myth. The high road from Mathur^ to Brinda-ban passes through two villages, Jay-siali-piLr and AJbaiya»ganj; and about half way crosses a deep ravine by a bridge that boars the following inscription : — SrL Pwl banwdt/d Mahdrdj Des mukk Bdld-ljai SdMb beti Ma/idrdj Mddfao Jl Saindkiya Bahadur Ki ne mar/at EJuudncIii Munik Chand Jez, Juukk kdrkun^ gumdskta Muhtab Rde ne sambat 1890? maMna asdrh badi 10 gurvxdMxre* Close by is a masonry tank, quite recently completed, which also lias a commemorative inscription as follows : Taldb iwittooya Laid KisJian Ldl foeta FaHf Chand SaJiukdr^ jdt DMsar} Maknewala &e ms mm&at 1929 mu$Mk san 1S72 IsvL That the bridge should have been built by a daughter of the MaMraja of Gwaliar and the tank constructed by a banker of DelM, both strangers to the locality, is an example of the benefits which the district enjoys from, its reputation for sanctity.. As the road between the two towns is always thronged with pilgrims, the number of these costly votive offerings is sure to be largely increased in course of time ; but at present the country oa either side has rather a waste and desolate appearance, with fewer gardens and houses than would be expected on a thoroughfare connecting two places of such popular resort. An explanation is afforded by the fact that •file present road is of quite recent construction. Its predecessor kept much closer to the JamnaJ^ lying just along the kkddar lands — -which in the rains form part of ti» river bed— *and then among the ravines, where it was periodically destroyed by tiw rush of water from ihe land. This is now almost entirely disused ; but for ihe first two miles out of Brindaban its course is marked by of and several works of considerable magnitude. The first is a large garden more than 40 Mghas in extent^ surrounded by a masonry wall and sup* wiii water from a distance by long aqueducts.* In its centre is a stone temple of some sizef and among the trees, with which the grounds are * By cactwoilittirf nyiKOooeptioa Ik-. Hoote- in Ms Imperial Gazetteer apeakt of tidi garden aqneSnd a§ II it ircse aa daboxate system of works lor supplying the irteie town wiil& 4?